REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH, something as common as an overly aggressive flag football game, or something as unexpected as tripping over a curb can result in a knocked-out tooth. If that happens, don’t just sit there and fret about it! If you act quickly, there’s no need to have an unatractive smile for the rest of your life!
Even if your tooth is completely removed from its socket, Dr. Brei here at our practice can successfully replace it. But in part, it depends on YOU!
Here are the steps you should take if you find yourself, a friend, or a family member with a knocked out tooth:
• Act quickly.
• Hold the tooth by the crown, NOT by its root.
• Never try to wipe off the tooth because remnants of the ligaments that attach the tooth to your jaw may still be present and are vital to replacing it.
• If possible, clean with milk and place the tooth back into the socket immediately.
• Keeping your tooth moist is one of the most important things! If you are unable to replace the tooth in the socket, keep the tooth moist inside your cheek or in a glass of milk until you can see Dr. Brei.
• Talk to us as soon as possible. Your best chance for saving your tooth is to see Dr. Brei within 30 minutes of it being knocked out.
Once you are under our care we can likely replant and stabilize the tooth. We may not be able to tell what other procedures, if any, may be necessary at a later date.
If your tooth can’t be saved, don’t worry. It’s not the end of the world. Modern dentistry, as practiced here in our office, offers many attractive, viable solutions for tooth loss.